I am currently without employment, and I’m looking to see what’s next for me. I am excited about human language, computers, and machine learning, and I’m pretty good at all three and their areas of overlap.
I am happiest tinkering in the “Bayesian” and “Deep” corners of the Eisner Simplex, but can keep my head above water just fine in the “Classical” corner.
Get at me with:
- linguistics and pragmatics of human interaction, especially when engaged with machines, e.g.:
- dialogue systems
- pragmatic inference
- understanding “meaning” in text
- text generation
- integrating knowledge of the world with expectations about behavior
- cultivating and curating social behavior in machines and people
- computational mathematics and statistics, especially in the interest of social good
- “open data”, sunshine laws
- open data extraction, translation and loading (ETL, aka “the hard part”)
- applying machine learning and statistical analysis to the data above
- whatever you think is interesting about your work
- what challenges you
- where it crosses disciplines
- why it’s worth doing
Words that make me enthusiastic about your office: curious, insight, compassionate, committed, teamwork.
Words and phrases that will turn me off in your ad: “work hard and play hard”, “obsessed”, “driven”, “impact”, “unicorn”, “synergy”.
I am firmly restricted to the Greater Seattle area.
Potential employers who want me to move to the Bay Area: have you considered opening a Seattle office? I can put you in touch with some very nice people, and there’s a lot of office space right on the C Line.